-->
Image Map

Monday, April 15, 2013

New Smoothie!!

I rely on smoothies for my morning breakfast most days, I try to make them ahead of time at night so they're ready to go and I can just grab them and go in the morning! Having to be at work at 6am most days it has really helped save me time and kept me healthy in the mornings! I used to go to the local bagel shop or McDonald's or just not eat...that is not okay! Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day and for me it sets how the rest of my meals will go. If I start healthy, I'll usually stay healthy! :)

I've posted before about SMOOTHIES and so when I stumble upon a new one and I like it I'll for sure pass it along to y'all! The other day I was totally craving a mocha frappe, after my Body Blast class the Lifetime Cafe brought in a sample of their mocha smoothie...it was DELISH and made me want one! So I figured that theirs probably had a lot of sugar in it set out to find a recipe I could make at home! I don't know about y'all but I used to be a googler...however, now I'm more of a let's search Pinterest and see what I can find! Well I found a plethora of recipes...I chose one and made it this morning...it's pretty good!
I cannot take credit for the recipe, that's all Catlin over at My chocolate moments.
I've pasted the recipe straight from her blog:

Recipe
Ingredients
  • 1 banana
  • 1/4 cup yogurt
  • 1 to 1 and 1/2 TBSP instant coffee
  • 1/2 TBSP cocoa powder
  • 1/2 TBSP honey
  • 1/4 – 1/2 cup milk
  • 12-14 cups of ice
  • 2 cups leafy greens
  • 2 TBSP flaxseed
A note on these ingredients – all of these amounts are approximations and can be easily changed, substituted, removed, increased, or decreased to your liking.  If you like your coffee black then you may not need the honey as an extra sweetener.  If you like your coffee strong, you may want to add more that what I use.  I’m not really sure why I use both yogurt and milk – I’m sure one or the other would be fine (yogurt if you want a thicker, smoothie like consistency, milk if you want a more drinkable shake).
The greens and flaxseed are 100% optional and don’t really effect the taste at all.  I just add them in so I can get a few more nutrients.  The flaxseed can be a bit gritty, but I blend my smoothie on the liquify setting on my blender because I like mine drinkable, so the flaxseed gets pretty ground up.  If you haven’t tried putting greens in your shake, I challenge you to give it a try.  Start with just a little and work your way up to a big ‘ole handful (that’s what I did).  You really can’t taste it (at least, I can’t) and it’s like eating a bowl of salad while having a yummy smoothie snack.

I will probably tweak the recipe to fit me more...I'm not a huge fan of chocolate (let me pick you up off the floor, I know, I'm weird) so it was a little too chocolaty for my taste and I only used 2 teaspoons full of cocoa. Also I may try a little almond milk instead of regular just because I like the taste of almond milk in my smoothies.

Let me know if y'all try this out! It was really good and the flax seed really helped keep me full!



xoxo,
SamanthaDiane

No comments:

Post a Comment